1.08.2008

I admit it, I am a nerd. Through the course of my life, I have played hundreds of games spanning pretty much every platform since the Sega Genesis. I really shouldn't state that last fact so proudly, in fact it is a really embarrassing statistic now that I look back at it. I guess the only thing I can do is look back and cherish my time spent by putting together a top five list of my favorite games of all-time.

The list will be in order from five to one, but mind you that deciding between positions on the list is fairly difficult. In all reality, four could be three or five could be two. Besides the clear cut number one position, the rest of the games could be a toss up more or less.

5. Pokémon Red and Blue - I really had a hard time placing this set of games on the list and I can't put my finger on exactly why. I have definitely put more time into these games than maybe any other games I have ever played. Maybe I didn't want to inclue them because they make me feel nerdy? Maybe I can't see putting a handheld game on the list? Maybe because the sequels (especially Gold and Silver or Diamond and Sapphire) are arguably more solid games? I can make up a lot of maybes, but there is no denying the fact that these two titles helped launch a series which would go on to sell more titles than all but a handful of other gaming series.

4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 -
This game should maybe be as high as number two on my list, but I have a hard time placing it there because it is technically a sports game. However, no other sports game has ever been as deep or had such tight controls. The game was also one of the best balanced games of all-time. Career Mode lead rookies or veterans on a nice run of the brilliantly designed levels, but the real meat and potatoes of the game came through time spent exploring each local. Each level had an amazing amount of lines waiting to be discovered by those who took the time to tinker around with the setting. The sound track and amazing amount of unlockables helped push this game to near perfection.

3. Beyond Good and Evil - If there was ever a game that was an example as to why publishers never create original properties, this game is reason numero uno. This game is really a combination of a 3D Zelda and Pokémon Snap, if that combination makes any sense at all. The game has really exceptional characters, gameplay, music, layout, and story. Seriously, all those key components are extremely well executed. The game also offers a fair amount of collectibles and side-quests to pro-long the adventure. The game just suffered from a lack of correct timing. It was released along with some real blockbusters that kept it from gaining any mainstream press attention. The game was also short, only about 12-14 hours at it's longest, which isn't much for a game in its genre. If you can find this gem used on the GameCube for a couple bucks, do yourself a favor and pick it up. I guarantee it will be one of the best decisions you ever make.

2. Grandia 2 - While the lifespan of the Dreamcast may have been cut short a little too early, it had it's fair share of real gems. This game may have just been it's greatest, as well as it's most underrated. Grandia 2 is a 40+ hour RPG that follows the story of a young geo-hound as tries to help a young songstress and save the world. Yeah, the story may be cliché, but it has enough twists and turns to hold interest. The thing that really makes this game stand out is it's battle system. The turn-based combat feels fresh and intuitive even now. The game had a deep magic and item system that helped flesh out the system into a great game of strategy and wit when matched up against the wonderful bosses in the game. PS2 owners can be happy in the fact that this game was ported to the system back in 2002 or so, but it is quite rare. The PS2 port has been reviewed as a pretty poor migration from the Dreamcast, but if you can find a copy at a GameStop it is definitely worth the cash.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - If you know me personally, then this definitely was not a shocker to you. The game simply revolutionized games as we knew them back in 1998. It had a great story at a time when most games still went with virtually non-existent stories. The musical score was easily Koji Kondo's greatest masterpiece. But first and foremost, this game redefined how we look at gameplay in a 3D world. The combat system was ages beyond it's time with a multitude of weapons which all worked to perfection. The Z-targeting system made it possible to battle several enemies at once without painful camera problems. All these key components as came together with perfect level layout, lovable supporting characters, and epic boss battles which kept you waiting for the next dungeon. While the game may look and somewhat feel dated today, nearly ten years later, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is still a testament as to what gaming perfection should be.

I hope you all like my list. Again, this list is based off of games I have played and is limited to entirely my own preferences. If you have a question or feel like arguing one of my points, feel free to e-mail me at Cameron@CameronBanga.com

0 comments: