3.10.2008

So, I originally wanted to get my first taste of Brawl through some Four48 action. However, due to being on spring break and just not being able to get the team together while we are spread around the country, it didn't happen. My friend Mike did pick up a copy of the game and I got about 5-6 hours of play with the monumental release, so I figured I would post some quick impressions.

Throughout the couple hours we played, I had a chance to play or witness about an hour of single player and the rest was in multi-player mode. I have to note, I didn't get any online play in. I really wish we could have played a bit of it, but it didn't happen since we had a fairly large group of players.

First things first, the characters all seemed very balanced and the level design is very well done. Over the last month or so, I have gotten some rounds of Melee in with Dillon and Matt Green. The one thing I remember from the GameCube title was that I found myself hating most levels besides Final Destination and Corneria. Maybe it was because we were still early into our overall playtime with the title, but I thought each level was very enjoyable (except for maybe the Mushroom Kingdom level and the Donkey Kong level). The characters also seemed much more balanced. I played primarily as Link (he's my homeboy, obviously) but tried out a variety of other characters. I found even what considered to be the weaker characters easier to use and be successful with.

The items all play really well, but their actually seems to be too many items in my opinion. I think this primarily comes from the new assist trophies. This feeling primarily comes from the experience of being on the receiving end of weapons and just not knowing what has happened and what idea was used and what the ultimate result of it's use will be. However, I think this is just an early response to the items and that with more play time I will learn to adapt to each better defensively without feeling so confused about each.

I also found myself using the GameCube controller most. I think this is because I am well experienced in Melee and this controller makes Brawl feel just like it's predecessor. The game controls like Melee and that is definitely not a bad thing. The controls were tight in 2001 and they remain the same way today.

The Space Station Emissary(is that the correct name/spelling?) felt a lot like Melee's adventure mode with additional cut scenes. There is a basic story, but it definitely isn't the reason you will be playing. Overall, it seems like a great addition and something I would personally like to play through to the end.

Hopefully these quick impressions give everyone a quick look further into the game if you haven't had a chance to play it yet. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at Cameron@CameronBanga.com or leave a comment and I will try to respond back to you quickly.

1 comments:

Bretthew Wezfolt said...

lol Space Station Emissary lol more liek playstation emissary

(It's Subspace Emissary, s'rry)

I'd agree with what you'd say in terms of balance and whatnot, though it's really too early to judge confidently.