1.02.2007

I have been playing around with the idea of a tech blog for a while now. I love reading and talking about technology related issues, so I guess a blog is the next big step. Anyway, I have been thinking about putting together a blog for quite a while. I just so happened to be on my favorite site this morning, Digg, and I stumbled across this link by a guy named GeekIdiot.

I guess I should explain the "Fanboy" word in the title of this blog. Hello everyone, my name is Cameron and I am a Nintendoholic. Nintendo has had me under their horribly wonderful grasp for the last ten years. I didn't go wacko like Nintendo 64 kid when I unwrapped the paper on my present that faithful Christmas day. However, I was sucked into the Nintendo magic and have loved it ever since.

One feature of the recently released Wii I see as Nintendo's biggest advantage is backwards compatibility with the GameCube. This feature is never given enough attention because the PS3 has this feature as well as the XBOX 360 to a lesser extent. Except, Nintendo has a huge advantage over Sony or Microsoft simply because no one bought the GameCube. Backwards compatibility means nothing when everyone already owns a system which plays old games. The success of the Wii translates into new Nintendo gamers who never had the luxury of playing old GameCube games. Sony doesn't have this luxury because approximately 8 trillion people bought a PS2 and have already played any old games worth adding to a collection.

Anyways, enough with my rambling and back to my first paragraph. I read an article on the 40 essential GameCube games. As a GameCube owner, I would agree with most of the titles on the list. I am also aware of nearly every title because I have followed the system throughout an entire generation. New Wii owners have never heard of many of these titles and therefore have no idea which of these games to pick up first or which are actually worth cold hard cash. I don't want to criticize Geek Idiot because I feel like he put together a great list. I just wish he would of given a little look into each of the games.

I decided to cut the list into 20 games. That should keep any gamer busy for the next couple months. I am placing the games in a top 20 order AND giving some details about each game. I hope you all enjoy the list!

20. Pikmin 2 - A RTS done right on a console. Pikmin 2 is the same great gameplay from Pikmin with more depth and detail. Controlling the Pikmin is over half the fun in the game. Pikmin isn't for everyone though. Some might find the controls tricky and complicated if they aren't familiar with RTS games.

19. Mario Power Tennis - I had a hard time deciding on if I should add this game to the list. With Wii Sports bundled in with the Wii, gamers can play tennis to their hearts content. However, Power Tennis offers more depth and detail and will keep tennis fans busy for a long time.

18. Super Monkey Ball 2 - If you haven't played any Monkey Ball game before, you're missing out on one of Sega's greatest gaming gems. Anyone can enjoy this puzzle hit. The later stages will push even the most skilled gamers into an intense level of concentration. Everyone should own either Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2 for the GameCube.

17. Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II - This game has held a special place in my heart ever since I picked it up on the GameCube's launch night. The missions are varied and interesting enough to keep any gamer happy for hours.

16. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour - A great solid golf game. Much better than the golf game thrown together in Wii Sports. It doesn't feature motion control, but this game offers a fair amount of unlockable characters and courses. I do think that Mario Golf for the N64 is a better game. If your willing to wait, I would hold out and spend my money on the N64 version of this game whenever it is released for the Virtual Console.

15. Resident Evil (aka REmake) - The original Resident Evil won the hearts of many gamers when it was released for the PS1. I had never played the original, so this was perfect for me. Controls can be a little lackluster at times, however this is still a quality game.

14. Super Mario Sunshine - This game might have received more shit than any other game in the GameCube's lifespan. I guess that is what happens when you are technically a sequel to Super Mario 64. No, this game does not revolutionize gaming like Super Mario 64 did in 1996. That doesn't make it a bad platformer. I recommend that everyone checks out this game, just don't expect anything to be leaps and bounds over Super Mario 64.

13. F-Zero GX - It didn't sell too well and it wasn't well recieved by many. Plainly stated, this game was hard. Very hard. If you have the patience to practice and master this game, it could be one of the most rewarding things you have ever done in gaming. ONLY FOR RACING DIE HARDS.

12. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - Poor sales of this game and Eternal Darkness lead to the end of Nintendo's friendship with Silicon Knights studio. Don't let sale numbers fool you, this game is of superb quality. This game is another quality rerelease on the 'Cube. Again, if you have played the original, you might want to take a pass. If you have never played this Kojima classic, be sure to pick it up and enjoy. It only takes about 15 hours to complete, but I guarantee that it will be the best hours of your life.

11. Animal Crossing - Many will argue with me about placing this game so high up on the list. Simply stated, this game created a new genre of sorts. It was often compared to the popular "Sims" games which doesn't quite do this title justice. You WERE an inhabitant of the world in which you created. Day and night passed and people changed. The DS version released a little over a year ago was a better game. The GameCube version just helped create and define a title which will carry great power on Nintendo systems for years to come. That alone deserves a top position.

10. Lost Kingdoms - One of two real sleeper titles I still have on my list. This game is amazing and I almost promise that you have never heard of it. The story and graphics might be typical but the gameplay isn't. This game focuses on collecting a team on monsters in a deck of cards. The concept it hard to explain in words, but the game is wonderful in action. Definitely worth the seven bucks or so you will find it for at your local GameStop.

9. Eternal Darkness - A game that defines the GameCube. It is amazing, yet it sold like shit. If Nintendo has a kiddy image, this game didn't help create it. The story and gameplay are better than any other horror game on the market. What made ED stand out was a certain gameplay element which I really won't go into detail in because it ruins the game. Want to know what that element is? Do yourself a favor and go purchase this game.

8. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - I just finished this game less than 24 hours ago. Never before has a game given me such mixed feelings. Part of me wants to praise this game as a great RPG that should be number 2 or 3 on this list. The other part of me placed this game at number 8. This game is slowly paced and involves several fetch quests. The battle system is great and I want to keep finding bigger and badder enemies and bosses. The game would rather send me on a fetch quest and that just pisses me off. This game does have depth on it's side. If you find every badge and shine, you will easily put 50-60 hours into the adventure.

7. Viewtiful Joe - An amazing franchise that saw it's rise and fall before the Wii was even released. The original VJ was a wonderfully fresh side scroller that made games feel like kids again. Capcom would overkill the franchise with too many sequels in too short a time span. That shouldn't stop you from picking up the first game. Just a friendly tip, go through the game first on child mode. Adult mode will kick your ass.

6. Metroid Prime - Considered by many to be the greatest Metroid game. I think 2D Samus is a little better, however this is still a great game. FTS fans and adventure fans will both find this game amazing as it wonderfully intertwines the two genres.

5. Tales of Symphonia - The RPG that PS2 owners wished they had. It made up for the lack of any meaningful Final Fantasy on the system. This game provided a hell of an adventure with a great story and even better gameplay. Battles never got old and the game offered tons of collectible items that could make fights even better. The game does have several fetch quests which do piss me off. They are however placed out evenly enough and sparsely enough that I never even cared.

4. Beyond Good and Evil - This game is easily the Cinderella of the list. Ubisoft delivered a gem which was released on all last-generation systems. It also sold poorly on all last-gen systems. This game was a hit on every level. Story, music, character design, level design, difficulty, and gameplay were all perfect. The game's one flaw is it's length. It is only about 13 hours or so long. I do give Ubisoft credit for keeping the game short instead of just adding in a big cup of boredom to extend the game's length. I bought this game for ten bucks about two years ago and it is still one of the best investments I have ever made.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Another Nintendo game that received a ton of flak. Cell-shading or not, this game is a triple A title. Don't let the colorful appearance fool you, this game is beautiful. The game is polished and a welcome addition to the Zelda series. The game is unbelievably polished. Every moment is wonderful. Well, except for the Tri-Force shard hunting late in the game. Damn fetch quests.

2. Resident Evil 4 - The most amazing survival horror game of all-time. Easily one of the best games of the last generation. Personally, I still think the controls are a wee (wow a bad pun) bit wack. Don't let that make you think twice about this game. It is still an unbelievable experience. The best part about it is the price. You can find this game for around $15 or even in the Resident Evil 10th Anniversary Pack which includes RE 0, REmake, and RE4 for a great reasonable price.

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee - Every once in a game comes along that is damn near perfect. Melee is that game. No other game on the GameCube provides the hours of fun of this first generation GameCube game. I will go out on a limb and say this game could quite possibly change your life. The amount of depth in this game is enough to drive any perfectionist to insanity. Collecting trophies, unlocking characters and levels, and playing countless multi-player matches against your friends will continue to be fun even after as much as 100 hours of gameplay. If you have a Wii or a GameCube, go buy this game now. If you don't have the cash, sell the computer your reading this on and go buy this game. You'll make the right decision.

Well, that's it for my top 20 list of GameCube games. If your a new Wii owner who has never owned a Nintendo system, go pick yourself up a WaveBird controller and a few of those games. Any game on this list will be a great addition to any library. If I missed any games or if you want to argue with my order, be sure to leave a comment or e-mail me at Cameron@CameronBanga.com


Digg!


This page is brought to you by...
If you love wikis, the web has millions of informative wikis. These awesome little tools are an easy way to create fun things to do on your site. You can create a video game wiki for your website! Additionally a wiki can be specialized for any niche so add one to your site!

56 comments:

Bob said...

Job well done giving a little insight into each of the games. One thing I would do to help make this list more friendly for new Wii owners is to define what your acronyms are before using them. You only used one but for the new gamer, they have no idea what RTS means. You should have posted Real Time Strategy (RTS) and then use RTS to your heart's content. Also, if you have a Wii, like I do, and if you never had a wireless controller for any of your game systems before, you will realize how nice the wireless controllers are. So your recommendation for getting a Wavebird is justified. Matter of fact, I have been playing my Gamecube games on the Wii and I had to go out last night a get a Wavebird. It is so much nicer now. FYI, Target and Walmart sell the Wavebird for $30 where as other places sell it for $35. Sorry for the advertising spam but I figure I'll help others save their money so that they can buy more games!

Scott said...

nice list... i prefered monkey ball 1 to 2 and i love double dash's baby park... but i think the game you overlooked was ikaruga the port of the very, very good dc game that was never released in the us

JonXP said...

You said, "Except, Nintendo has a huge advantage over Sony or Microsoft simply because no one bought the GameCube."

The number of GameCubes and XBoxes sold are almost equal, with only a very slight lead to the XBox.

soilyboy said...

all very interesting but clearly flawed as you forgot killer 7, the second best game after resi 4 on the cube. For you to omit this means you didnt play it or appreciate it which renders your list invalid.

Jon said...

The product placement in Pikmin 2 made me feel like I was cleaning up a litter-filled park instead of helping an alien and his carrot-pals. I thought the added depth was also not necessary.

Agree on Monkey Ball 1 being better than 2.

Syed K.Haque, M.D. said...

The only game I like is
PACMAN.
May be because I never got time
to try other games.

Bobert Hepker said...

dugg!

DiemetriX said...

@soilyboy
Killer 7 is a grate game, but far from mainstream. Killer 7 is for those with special interest. I wouldn't put it on the top 20list.

Unknown said...

Super Mario Strikers is a title that I think should certainly be on your list. The quality of gameplay is enjoyable for all ages, but complicated enough to provide a challenge.

soilyboy said...

@DiemetriX

if we follow your logic and then produced a top 20 list of music would we really have to include Robbie Williams and exclude Dylan just because "Robbie" is mainstream?

Fargalas said...

@soilyboy

By what sort of logic do you establish Dylan as being outside the mainstream? His latest album hit #1 in sales on the Billboard 200.

Furthermore, it's not that Killer 7 isn't mainstream, it's that it's deeply flawed, and only appeals to those with specific interests. It has no right to be on the top 20 because most people reading this probably wouldn't enjoy it.

That's what games are about, afterall. Fun.

soilyboy said...

@DiemetriX

chose whichever musicians you want for the analogy, you know what i mean. though dylan has never been mainstream and was deeply resented for even picking up an electric guitar as it was seen as move in that direction.

Anyhow, deeply flawed how? fun it certainly was, brilliant it was, work of genius it was, broke down boring game conventions it did, it was different, it was great to play, but weird certainly, but if it wasnt fun i would not have played it and loved it.

in the name of harman

Unknown said...

@bob

The wavebird is a nice controller, to be sure, but if you plan to use multiple controllers on your wii, the spacing of the wii's gamecube controller ports probably won't allow multiple wavebirds. Can anyone confirm this?

Kirk Warren said...

The best RPG on the GC is Skies of Arcadia Legends, a port with some added features of the best RPG on the Dreamcast. Having any RPG ahead of it is a crime.

Joe C. said...

@Erik

Yeah it will fit 4 wave bird receivers perfectly.

Unknown said...

Im a new Wii owner and I had never purchased a Gamecube even though I loved my Nes, Snes, and N64. So this list is much appreciated. I will definately check out some of these titles.

On a sidenote, I couldnt help but notice your reference to the "Nintendo 64 kid." I too was convinced that it was a Nintendo 64 that he opened up, but when i looked at the commercial on my tv in slo-mo, thanks to my Tivo, the kids actually get a toy called "Über Robot." Just a little bit of trivia for you.

Jonathan Beckett said...

Excellent round up - the Gamecube has got some fantastic games.

Whenever I'm asked to recommend a console to play games on, if the person is looking for entertainment I always point them towards the Gamecube over the PS2 or XBox...

WeaponFanfic said...

Good article. Like any list, there will always be titles that others will wish were on the list (for myself it will be Ikaruga, Fire Emblem, and Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2) but this is your list and there was nothing I could strongly disagree with.

Omar, the Nintendo 64 kid really is of a kid opening a Nintendo 64. The commercial from BMW saw the popularity of the video and used it for their commercial. To avoid copyright infringement, however, they digitally replaced the Nintendo 64 with an Uber robot toy. I can tell you that no such toy exists on the market.

Unknown said...

I hope your prediction of Mario Golf from the 64 making it's way to the Virtual Console comes true. Without a doubt, that's my favorite golf game ever (and probably in my top 3 overall games).

I've been keeping my fingers crossed since Nintendo mentioned the whole concept of the VC. :)

robotplague said...

Slick list, I might have put Baten Kaitos at the end of the list. I think that's one seriously over looked game. If you haven't checked it out you can find it really cheap now a days. I got it for I think 7 bucks brand new.

evanmcb said...

What, no Double Dash? Crazy talk, you need to bring those blue sparks.

Cameron Banga said...

Yeah, I never played a lot of Double Dash. I just was never to fond of the game after playing Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart DS, both of which are far superior in my opinion.

Like I edited to the blog, I plan on writing another article on a couple of the games I didn't include next week or so. I was going to add it to this post, however by the time I finished with the list, I figured the post was long enough.

bikingshaun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

"solid like sh*t"?

What have you been eating?

I wouldn't really call Pikmin RTS. That's probably the closest genre, but Pikmin really is its own thing.

If SSBM is #1, MK:DD has to be number #2. Period. NO arguments. No other games can provide the endless hours of multiplayer fun that these two offer.

Finally, if you are trying to list games for casual gamers who've picked up the Wii, I think you're way off. Yes, each of these games has merit in its own unique aspects, but I could only recommend at most 10 of the 20 to someone who isn't a dedicated gamer.

Vox said...

Thanks for the list =)

Unknown said...

If you are not considering cooperative racing on Double Dash, I would agree that Mario Kart 64 is better. With 2 players per cart however, double dash is one of the funnest party games I have ever played.

F-Zero GX is unbelievable, what a great game. Never cared for Super Monkey Ball at all, but I admit I'm in the minority on that. Everybody keeps bringing up Ikaruga on "greatest of Gamecube", but it's not a good port. :-(

Unknown said...

Awesome list, needs more Ikaruga.

Unknown said...

No Mario Kart: Double Dash? WTF?!?

Unknown said...

Sorry to nitpick but this one is annoying. It's rogue. Not rouge. Rouge is what women wear on their face (and some men I suppose).

Otherwise the list doesn't look too bad.

Lisa said...

I clicked over to your post from GoNintendo. Great article and I like your writing style too! I'm a new Wii owner who never played the Gamecube, so I'll definitely be checking out some of these titles. I just haven't been able to bring myself to spend the $$$ on controllers and a memory card yet.

Anonymous said...

Just to prove a point about "mainstream" fun vs. "special interest", the person arguing for Killer 7 suddenly switches into Yoda speak:

"mmm... good it was, yes. Different it was."

I would say that most people don't talk like this and it points to the fact that this person may be easily confirmed in the "special" category.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Wii owner who doesn't own a GameCube. In the last generation, I had hastily selected the PlayStation 2, and I now wish I had been more cautious. The games on your list I really wish I'd tried are Pikmin, Super Smash Bros. (I had a N64, but had all but abandoned it by the time the N64 version came out) and Animal Crossing. Thankfully, I got to get my hands on a great version of Animal Crossing thanks to the DS. But, like Lisa, I'm still on the fence about spending the money for a Wavebird, a memory card and some games. Though it may not look like much, it does add up to a pretty sum. Especially when a new version of Smash Bros. is already confirmed for the Wii and that it's likely another Pikmin will see the light of day, either on the DS or the Wii, just like a new Animal Crossing appeared for the DS. Plus, there's still faint hope Nintendo will make GameCube games playable with Wii accessories or that one day GameCube titles may appear on the Virtual Console, as they gradually disappear from storeshelves.

Fyi said...

I owned nº1 - 13 - 14 and 18... i´m agree with most of the things you say... super monkey ball 1 roooocks! :)

Unknown said...

Ok I don't own most of the games on the list (although I do own a GC and a Wii) but as I am from Europe and soccer is THE sport over here, I'm pretty sure Mario Smash Football (Super Mario Strikers) would have made it on my list, just because it is so much fun to play on parties with your friends (we spent countless hours with that game on my Wii a couple of days ago when I took it with me to a firend)

Anonymous said...

No Soul Calibur?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Shame, shame...


Good list, other than THAT. :)

Anonymous said...

Finally some love for Melee. In college, my roommates and I logged over 14,000 stock matches in two years. There has never been a greater game.

Anonymous said...

The only game I would have added to the list is "Luigi's Mansion," which turned out to be a pretty enjoyable game.

Anonymous said...

I know that some of you may be hesitant to spend the money on GameCube hardware, but I seriously recommend checking out used WaveBirds and Memory cards at a GameStop or a similar used game store. At my local GameStop, a used WaveBird goes for the same price as a used wired controller (approx. $15-20). Also, four of them fit quite nicely into the Wii, but I don't leave the receivers plugged in unless I'm actually playing GameCube games. Even though they fit, they look a bit funky.

BTW, I agree that leaving Double Dash out of this list is a crime. No single title in my history of playing video games has seen as much playtime as Double Dash did.

Anonymous said...

In my living room, that is. Double Dash was the game of choice for a long, long time in my living room. Sorry, needed to ammend that...

Cory said...

Very nice list and I agree with you on almost everything. The only problem I have with it is Lost Kingdoms. I've played it and it's sequel. While they are good games I don't think they're must haves for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we're officially hijacking your blog and placing Double Dash at #2 in the list... sorry about that, but MK: DD is flippin awesome.

Justin said...

For future editorials, please note that using "shit" as a simile is next to useless. It's so easy to reach for shit, but it's very inspecific - having both positive and negative meaning - and doesn't add to your credibility.

Anonymous said...

Smash Bros for the Game Cube is among the Best Games Ever.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic list. You said the PS3 had full compatibility. Well it doesn't. Its like the 360. So Nintendo is actually the only FULLY backwards compatible system. Another win for the Big N.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for article!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

Anonymous said...

Glad to read articles like this. Thanks to author!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice post!

Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

Anonymous said...

Viewtiful Joe - An amazing franchise that saw it's rise and fall before the Wii was even released.
Yeah, this franchise is really amazing, I would like to own a franchise.

Anonymous said...

LIVE SEX GIRLS & WOMEN, GAY LIVE SEX, BOYS & MEN, ADULT MOVIES sex live webcam MORESOME LIVE SEX WEBCAMS girl cams amateur live cams

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Lost Kingdoms is on there. They don't receive enough credit, and I hate people who tell me how much it sucks. They're stupid. Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 are great.

Anonymous said...

im a wii owner but have never played a cube. i heard from quite a few people that timesplitters 2 is one of the best? not true?

Anonymous said...

well this list os one of the few good ones the mario game belong on there ive seen games that only have games with blood and gore there only there bc nintendo dont make thoese alot but this was a good famly listi m11 ive had the game cube since i was 7-8 i can remember but it was all worth and supersmash brother mele belongs as 1 and 2 but if it was up to me super msahs b0rther mele would be 2 thosand year door would be 1 but hey my opion oh and you ppl dont be total asses and say you forgot htis game its up to this dude and him alone so just shut the hell up!you hear me soily boy shut up!

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of your list, however I don't think SMB deserves the highest ranking. Surely Resident Evil 4 needs to be placed in the number 1 spot.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site. Good work!!
Please visit our resources
Do you have problems with herpes infections? Valtrex is the best medication to help treat with genital herpes, cold sores and shingles. Tramadol is an opioid used as an analgesic for treating moderate to severe pain.
Viagra is a medication used to treat erectile dysfunction.