1.07.2007

NOTE: If you are looking for more great tips and tutorials for OS X, check out my new website, www.appleinfive.com

I said it. Please don't send in your hate mail yet, let me explain. Actually, let me rephrase that sentence. The iPhone won't change the world right away. Ah, much better.

Macworld kicks off next week and Apple websites have been abuzz with rumors concerning the keynote address. The keynote begins at 9AM Pacific and a live feed will be available at MacUser here.

One product which has been featured predominantly in rumors is a cell-phone from Apple. The cell-phone has actually been rumored for over five years. If you are interested in an Apple cell-phone rumor history, check out FierceWireless here.

Apple did collaborate with Motorola to produce the ROKR in 2005. The phone was the first cell-phone to integrate iTunes. However, the cell-phone received poor reviews because of a 100 song limit which was plagued by poor music transfer speeds.

It has been heavily rumored that Steve Jobs will announce an Apple cell-phone during his keynote address Tuesday. Little is known about the phone. We do know that the phone will not be called the iPhone. This name is a copyright of Linksys and was used on a recently release VOIP phone. It is also heavily rumored to have a battery broken into two halves; one for phone use and another for music playback. I have also seen several rumors which have speculated that the phone will run a mobile version of OS X.

It is highly probable that Steve Jobs will announce a mobile phone on Tuesday. Heck, it might even be in stores by Wednesday. This makes the Apple fanboy in me jump for joy. The idea of a great cell-phone that doubles as a great audio player is wonderful. However, I must admit that I will not rush out to buy one.

First, Apple needs to prove to me that they are capable of producing a quality cell-phone. I know that Apple produces better computers better than any other company in the world. However, a cell-phone is not a computer. Many people e-mailed me and called me biased after my "Top 10 Things to Know" post. They said I would never speak bad of an Apple product. Well, the ROKR was a bad phone. I understand that the ROKR was not completely developed by Apple. Nevertheless, the phone was poorly developed and still tarnishes Apple's record in regards to cell-phones. Apple still needs to prove to me that they can create a powerful cell-phone.

Second, Apple also needs to convince me that I should sell my iPod and my RAZR in exchange for a single device. I love my 4th generation iPod. The screen might not be in color and it isn't nearly as slim as the newer version, but it is still my favorite MP3 device. This mindset also applies to my RAZR. The phone is slim, sleek, and sexy. It handles my contacts and calendar great. I also have great reception with the phone. I really don't see any reason for loosing these devices in favor of a single device. Apple really needs to prove to me that this new device keeps the same great features of my old products while improving upon performance.

Finally, Apple needs to create something that stands out. The phone needs to be a fresh change in the cell-phone and MP3 market. The iPod currently dominates the MP3 market with it's great functionality and hip designs. Many cell-phones currently stand out with great features and designs in the cell-phone market. Apple must create and promote a product that stands out in both markets in order to sell a large amount of units.

Does this mean I think the Apple cell-phone will fail? I don't think it will fail at all. I am confident that Apple will produce a quality produce which will revolutionize the way we see our cell-phones and MP3 players. I just don't feel that this revolution will occur overnight. Once Apple proves that their device is really a killer product, I feel that we will see a drastic market change where multipurpose devices will become extremely popular.

Just don't expect this cell-phone to change the world overnight.


This page is brought to you by...
If you love wikis, the web has millions of informative wikis. These awesome little tools are an easy way to create fun things to do on your site. You can create a video game wiki for your website! Additionally a wiki can be specialized for any niche so add one to your site!

1 comments:

Justin said...

It's funny to read this post the day after it came out. Hehehe :)

Changed your mind yet?