8.20.2008

So it's been a week with Twitter and I think I am finally ready to give a final verdict. While a week may not be that long and it is difficult to give a rating or a ultimate decision to the service, I do feel like I got enough time to form a fairly solid opinion.

There are several things I really like about the service. First, I really enjoy the way that the service connects to both my cell phone and Facebook with ease. I always loved the Facebook status feature, but I always felt it was underused or not really cared about by users. If you're on Twitter, then you are obviously a big fan of this micro-blogging concept. The fact that I also have all my Twitter updates sync up with my Facebook status just makes the whole service more worthwhile. I also like the simplicity of just sending a text message to Twitter's 5 digit SMS number. I can also send replies to specific users through text just by placing @ infront of the users name in the message. It is easy and doesn't cost a thing over what your text messages usually cost.

When it comes to the downfalls of the service, reliability has been the big one for Twitter in the past and I have seen several small problems over the last week. While rare, I have seen several error messages citing that the service is overloaded and to try again later. I also feel as if Twitter could be better integrated into even more websites. I wish I could enter my Facebook information and see which friends have Twitter accounts. I wish the RSS feeds worked with my Google reader account. I wish I could receive and sent tweets through AIM. The service still has a ton of possibilities which need to be explored in order to bring in the traffic of other social networks.

Do I recommend Twitter? Well, that depends on who you are. If you have unlimited text messaging and are active on services like Facebook or Pownce. Personally, I don't see Twitter as much of a service on it's own and if you've been on the internet for a while, you most likely are already well involved in a social network. However, if you look at Twitter as a tool to enrich your experiences on Facebook, Pownce, etc, then it is definitely a great experience and well worth your time.

Overall, I give Twitter a 4 out of 5.

Have any questions, comments, or do you feel I am dead wrong about Twitter? Feel free to leave a comment.
________
Bored? Listen to my podcast series.
Take a listen to great interviews with Steve Wozniak and more.
Subscribe on iTunes.

5 comments:

Bobert Hepker said...

Fair judgement. Also see http://www.problogger.net/archives/2008/01/25/35-twitter-tips-from-35-twitter-users/

Anonymous said...

Twitter more liek shitter

Anonymous said...

Cameron Banga doesn't care about black people.

Anonymous said...

do you live in a computer or are you just sidetracked

Anonymous said...

fuck you and the horse you fucked last night